Kubra Khan talks about body-shaming after 'Doctor Bahu'

She says actresses are judged by how they look, and wants the industry to care more about talent than appearance.

Kubra Khan speaks openly about facing body-shaming after her role in Doctor Bahu during a media interview.



Actor Kubra Khan talked about the strict beauty rules in the entertainment world. She said actresses are often judged by how they look, not by their skills. They are expected to become a perfect but fake idea of beauty. Talking in a recent interview, she thought about the harsh words she got when she acted with Shuja Asad in the show Doctor Bahu. Many viewers said she did not look like a typical lead actress.

"The problem in our industry and culture is that there is a standard, which is so narrow that not everyone can fit into it. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who cannot," she said. 

Kubra argued that women are often expected to be fair-skinned, thin, and tall to be considered beautiful. "I am not a size zero. There is this idea that, to be seen as beautiful, a girl must be thin, tall, and have nice hair. If you do not meet that standard, you are not good enough," she said.

Thinking about the criticism, she said she stopped trying to explain herself and instead chose to focus on her work. 'I went through that for some time, and I stopped explaining. In the end, it is your opinion,' she said.

'Of course, it has affected me a lot, but I decided not to reply because that would be like talking to a wall.'

She said that mean comments got worse after she worked with Shuja Asad on TV. People online said she looked older and bigger than him. She noted,

 'I saw pictures and videos where people were not just rude, but they also joined in with others making fun of or picking on me.' She added that even posts that seemed to support her often made things worse by talking too much about how she looks.

Even though people watch closely, Kubra said staying healthy was more important than meeting impossible standards.

 "I need to know I'm healthy. I'm not saying I don't want to be fit or take care of myself. Of course, I do. I'd like to be a size eight, but not a size zero. I don't want to fit into that shape. I just want to be the best me," she said.

"I want to say that being healthy matters, but being your best self matters just as much.

" Kubra shared that she first matched the entertainment world's usual beauty standards when she started in showbiz, but then naturally put on weight over time.

"When I was starting out, I matched that mold. But in the end, I'm human, and I will grow and change. Life has different seasons, and that's fine," she said. 

She also said that although she tried to meet those expectations again, she finally saw that putting her own well-being first made her happier and let her do her jobs more honestly.

Kubra said that when comparing Pakistan's entertainment world to the West, Western shows usually focus more on skill than looks. 

She said, 'The issue in the East is that your appearance can block your talent. But if your talent is your voice, how you look shouldn't matter.'

"When you look at the West, how you look doesn't matter. If you act well and play your character the right way, that's good."

She also said that people expect certain looks not just for women, but men also have to look a certain way.

"If you don't have the same face, beard, or dreamy look, then you don't fit what a hero should be," she said, talking about her husband, actor Gohar Rasheed. 

Addressing Doctor Bahu, Kubra said the show is about more than just medicine, pointing out the social pressure many women face to leave their jobs after getting married.

"Being a doctor is serious. Your training begins when you are young. If, at some point in your life, someone says all your hard work is lost because you have to become a wife, how would that feel?" she said. "Truly, I feel for everyone who faces that, and many people do."


Also watch this :










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The long-awaited 'Mango Jutt' holds a festive music launch